02 August 2010
Bike Hire Scheme: Initial figures prove... er, something
TfL have just published a few figures about the Bike Hire Scheme's first weekend:
• 21,000 people were signed up for membership as of 4pm Sunday
• There were 6,403 journeys on Friday; 5,364 on Saturday; and 2,485 by 4pm Sunday
• The top hire site on Friday was Bankside Mix (81) followed by Newgate St, St Paul's (59)
• The top hire site on Saturday was Wardour St (88) followed by Hop Exchange, Borough (71)
• There are 315 docking stations live, with 5,000 bikes available
They don't say how many of those 5,000 bikes have dodgy rear wheels thanks to overtightened brakes. (I'd guess about 2,000 from my experience.) But the above figures conclusively prove the scheme has got off to a superb start.
Or possibly that it's a bit rubbish. I don't know what to compare them with. But whatever the case, they no doubt prove you were right all along.
Anyway, you can probably guess the location of the docking station pictured.