25 September 2009

Darwin awards? Speed limit for bikes, peds


Our northern Australia correspondent (thanks, Viola) sent us these images of a cycle path in Darwin. There's a clear speed limit at work - for both cyclists and pedestrians.

Even though I don't have a cycle computer any more, following an unfortunate incident with a biplane in the west of Ireland last year, I know when I'm cycling less than 20pkh (a bit over 12mph in proper money), because my legs are moving.


But how do all these dangerous high-speed joggers keep tabs on their speed? And surely 20kph is getting on for world-record pace for long distance running? Are Darwin's residents that super-fit?

I didn't realise they were such a problem, but perhaps we should start a campaign of complaint against the Pedestrian Peril. They don't have insurance, they don't have licence plates, a friend of a friend told me she was NEARLY RUN DOWN by one the other day, they don't pay road tax...

4 comments:

  1. And in this case, 'nearly run down' isn't metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a speed limit sign of 12MPH on the cycle path in London Fields, Hackney as you enter from the entrance nearest Pub on the Park. It appeared a week or two ago.. no speed cameras though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit I can walk faster than 10mph when I wear lycra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe their worried about an influx of Jamaican sprinters. Usain Bolt's doing in the region of 36 km/h when he's doing his stuff. On the other hand, Paula Radcliffe's knocking out just over 18 km/h when breaking a world record.

    ReplyDelete