20 March 2009

Bike-shed art cool enough for a Bond villain


I know a lot about art, but I often don't know what I like. However I do like this mural, which was completed a few days ago.

It's inside a bike shed under the railway arches in the parking area of Metro Central Heights, a stylish, swimming-pooled residential block just north of the Elephant and Castle.

The Heights were originally Alexander Fleming House, a 1960s office complex designed by Erno Goldfinger. He's the man with the Midas touch; a spider's touch. With John Barry's score blazing irrelevantly in my ears (E major, C major, G/G-sharp switching), I went to find it last night.


 
It's on private property, but if you ask nicely at the Heights' hotel-like reception they'll direct you to the shed. Wave your arms to turn on the lights inside it. The artist is a guy called Philip Symonds.

And there's a friendly Wetherspoons next door, the Rockingham Arms, for some post hoc artistic discussions. Luckily for us it's within pushing distance of home.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment